August went pretty well. I sacrificed the novel for short story work, but that’s fine since I’m taking a week in September and devoting it entirely to the novel. We’re doing a challenge on FMwriters called Labor of Love. It’s designed to push your wordcount for one week and write toward a goal of 10, 20, or 30k words. I’m aiming for 20, which would require me to write 2500 words daily. My outline is strong and I’m hitting the high tension zone, so I’m anticipating the words will come. I want to finish this novel!
Aside from failing the novel this past month, I’m happy with my numbers, especially considering we took a few days for a family vacation and dealt with various minor-but-time-consuming medical issues. I made some aggressive goals for September, but I think I can do it. If nothing else, I have to try.
The crits, by the way, have to get done. I’ve received some very helpful critiques for my work on OWW, and these kind people are awaiting the return favor. So I’m going to try and hit those early on.
- Novel: 1k written (some by hand)
- Short Story Drafts: 3 (1 was handwritten while on vacation)
- Short Story Revisions: 2 complete, 2 more in progress
- Crits: 4
- Reading: 1 (+ various short stories)
- Rejections: 4
- Submissions: 5 (resubs, including one that had been lost)
- Novel: 30k to completion; signed up for www.fmwriters.com Labor of Love challenge to max my wordage daily from 9/2 to 9/9. Should get 20k.
- Short Story Drafts: 2
- Short Story Revisions: 6 (2 in progress + 4 others)
- Crits: 8
- Reading: 2
- Submissions: 1 for the 9/30 WOTF deadline