December Results (I love a productive month):
- Short Story drafted
- Children’s PB drafted
- Short Stories revised – 2
- Submissions – 9 (rejections – 8 )
With a focus goal of endurance, 2010 was my strongest writing year. The results speak for themselves.
- Main Goal: Endurance — I wrote every single month this year; even the busy ones. The longest time that went without writing was two weeks, and those usually revolved around family issues.
- Shadow of Blood 1st Draft — revived this, though didn’t get more than a few thousand words in.
- Children’s Stories: 2 — these weren’t on my goals this year, but I’ve been researching and reading children’s fiction with the intent of writing it. Muse decided it was time to start writing.
- Short Story Writing: 8 — planned for 6 but things went well, obviously. (3 came from the FMwriters Story A Day May)
- Short Story Edits: 24 — this was the year of revising and learning how to revise short stories effectively. I planned on 15 edits and managed 24 revisions of 8 different stories. Which means: I’m revising less times – I used to revise a story 8 or 10 times before I felt it was ‘ready’.
- Short Story Submissions: 40/20 — new policy of revolving door submissions.
- New Submissions: 7
- Rejections: 35
- Critiques: 28 — combination of FMWriters, and OWW including novel crits
- Book Reading: 17 — the most I’ve read in a year since having my kids.
- Prep VP application — actually, 2: 2010 was not accepted; and already sent my application in for the 2011 workshop
- Rejections: 35
- Award: WOTF HM for Fading Light
- Award: WOTF Semifinalist for Etherea In Her Veins
- Stories in Submission: 7
Vast improvements from 2009. What changed? I decided to put myself out there, and to do that, I was responsible for getting the stories done right. The revision-after-revision of this year taught me efficiency, it taught me where my problem areas were. Of course, while I’m fixing the ones I know about, others are cropping up. All in all, I’m thrilled with what I’ve done.
Being thrilled with what I’ve done is one thing; repeating it is another. I’m aiming to push further. I amped up my goals for 2011. I think I might have planned for too much, but as always, these are subject to change as life and writing actually occur.
- Main Goal: Intensity
- Novel Project: revision (Forgotten Star, 115k)
- Novel Project: first draft (37k left for Shadow of Blood)
- Short Story Writing: 14
- Picture Book Writing: 12
- Short Story Edits: 14
- Picture Book Revisions: 12
- New Submissions: 26
- Short Story Submissions: 50
- Crits: 50
- Book Reading: 24 (2 monthly)
- FM SAD Writing Challenge (May)
- Write1Sub1 Monthly (x2, for 26 stories)
Let’s get to it. Happy Writing!